It’s official – I’m obsessed with this dish!
When I switched over to a grain free diet many year ago, pad-Thai was probably one of the dishes I knew I was going to miss most.
I fell in love with pad-Thai during my university days and always found myself gravitating towards Thai restaurants when I ate out. Something about the combo of spices and flavours is just magical in Thai cuisine.
So, since depriving myself of the foods I love most is never an option, it was important that I had a grain and gluten free version of pad-Thai that I could easily create in my kitchen whenever a craving hit.
Check out this delicious and Paleo inspired chicken pad-Thai recipe.
Paleo Chicken Pad-Thai
INGREDIENTS: (serves 2-3)
1 lb chicken breast
1 spaghetti squash
1 pack enoki mushrooms
2 large carrots
2 green onions
4 sprigs cilantro
3 cloves garlic (crushed)
1 inch cube ginger (grated)
2 tbsp. avocado oil
2 tbsp. pine nuts (lightly toasted)
1. Cut spaghetti squash lengthwise and remove seeds. Bake at 400 for 30-40 min. Fork should pierce skin easily when squash is cooked. Use a fork to scrape out the strands of squash. Set aside.
2. Finely chop carrots and green onion in a food processor. Set aside.
3. In a deep pan sauté garlic and ginger in coconut oil (2 min). Add carrots, onion and mushrooms (4 min).
4. Create a space in the middle of the pan, add eggs and scramble. Mix in with vegetables and let cook (2 min).
5. Add spaghetti squash and sauce (see below) and mix all ingredients together until sauce coats everything.
6. Add in cooked chicken (see below) and allow everything to heat up.
7. Plate the pad thai and top with toasted pine nuts and chopped cilantro.
1. In a small pan combine all sauce ingredients and heat on low until warm.
Chicken: (chicken can be cooked at the same time as the pad-Thai)
1. Cut chicken into cubes, season with salt and pepper.
2. Using a separate pan, cooking chicken in coconut oil on medium heat.
2. Once chicken is cooked, set aside.
Did you know? Coconut aminos, made from the sap of coconut trees, is a healthy soy free and gluten free alternative to soy sauce.