OK OK OK! Due to popular demand I spent my morning putting together my Sloppy Joe recipe that I whipped up last night for dinner. Despite it being my first attempt, it was delicious and definitely brought me back to my little Jen days 😊
I’ll be testing out some variations of this recipe in the near future and keep you posted if I discover even more amazing flavours with this dish. Enjoy!
Sloppy Joes on Mashed Squash
INGREDIENTS: (serves 2-3)
1 lb ground beef
1 tsp ghee or avocado oil
1 small onion (diced)
1/2 yellow/red/orange pepper (diced)
2 garlic cloves (minced)
1/3 cup water
3 oz tomato paste
1 tbsp yellow mustard
1/2 tsp coconut aminos
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
1. Heat ghee/avocado oil in pan then add onion and pepper. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until onions become soft.
2. Add garlic and beef. Break a part beef and cook until beef is no longer pink.
3. In a separate bowl mix all other ingredients together then add mixture to pan with beef. Add sea salt and black pepper to taste.
4. Let cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes. Stir occasionally. You can also lower the temperature and let cook for longer to get more flavour out of this dish.
5. Serve this dish on top of mashed squash (see instructions below). Garnish with fresh cilantro or parsley.
1 squash (butternut, acorn or hubbard)
1 tsp ghee/butter
Sea salt to taste
1. Cut squash lengthwise, remove seeds and bake at 400 for 30-40 minutes.
2. Once squash is tender, remove from oven, scrape out flesh and mash in bowl with ghee/butter and sea salt.