Are gas, bloating and/or heartburn getting in the way of feeling sexy in your new jeans?
Do you feel like a bikini model by morning and a pregnant lady ready to pop by night?
If you’re sitting there wondering how the heck I know so much detailed information about you – it might be an indication that your digestive system could use a little help.
Coming from a history of IBS, I spent a lot of time and energy trying to figure out ways to correct my daily nagging symptoms.
That meant not only healing my gut, but supporting proper digestion so I could better breakdown food and therefore absorb more nutrients and avoid inflammatory responses caused by a leaky gut.
Here are a few ways that I support my digestive system daily. I recommend giving all of these a try or at the very least starting with one and adding to your digestive support routine in time. These simple tips go a long way especially when practiced regularly.
5 ways to prevent digestive discomfort + boost nutrient absorption
- Helps to relax the smooth muscles of the digestive tract.
- Add a 1/2-inch piece of fresh ginger or 1/4 tsp. ginger powder to your smoothie or incorporate it into your cooked dishes.
- Drink ginger tea in-between meals.
2. Eat/drink slowly & chew thoroughly
- Digestion begins in the mouth (or the blender when it comes to smoothies).
- Chew your food 20-30 times before swallowing.
- Sip (don’t gulp) your smoothie – take at least 20 minutes to consume it.
3. Apple cider vinegar & lemon juice
- Helps prepare the gut for incoming food by releasing enzymes that breakdown food.
- Add 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar to water – consume 15-20 minutes before your meals.
- Add lemon juice to your water and food as often as possible.
4. Avoid eating when stressed
- Stress compromises your bodies ability to digest food properly.
- Here are some tips to help: Eat sitting, not standing; take a few deep breaths before eating; avoid eating when emotions are strong (sad, angry, excited) and 1 hour before or after a workout. These tips apply to drinking your smoothies as well.
5. Digestive enzymes & bitters
- Try the above suggestions first. If you continue to deal with digestive issues I recommend the following digestive enzyme formulas – Digestzymes or Bio-Gest (take 1-2 caps before each meal).
- Digestive bitters can be helpful as well. Just add to water and drink in-between meals.
- Other situations that may require a digestive enzyme are the following: Gallbladder removal, prior use of antacids (prescription, Tums, Rolaids, etc.), low stomach acid due to old age, chronic illness, high stress, etc.
Feel free to reach out to me in the comment section below for additional support with your digestive health.