Spaghetti squash is an awesome gluten and grain free vehicle for so many great foods and sauces.
I’m always experimenting with different sauces and foods that taste great on top of these godsend noodles, which has led me to this kale pesto dish. I thought this yummy, nutrient and flavour-rich alternative might just do the trick.
Give this recipe a try and let me know your thoughts in the comments section below!
“Spaghetti” with Chicken & Kale Pesto
INGREDIENTS: (serves 2-3)
1 lb ground chicken
1 spaghetti squash
1/2 lemon (juice only)
8 large pieces of kale (chopped)
2 small shallot (sliced)
4 garlic cloves (sliced)
3 tbsp ghee/butter or avocado oil
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
For spaghetti squash …
1. Cut spaghetti squash lengthwise and remove seeds with spoon.
2. Bake at 400 for 30-40 min (first 10 min bake with flesh down, then turn so skin is down for remaining time).
3. Fork should pierce skin easily when squash is cooked. Cooking time varies depending on the size of the squash. Check regularly to avoid overcooking the squash.
4. Use a fork to scrape out the strands of squash onto a plate when chicken with kale pesto is ready.
For kale pesto & chicken …
1. Sauté shallot in 2 tbsp ghee/avocado oil on medium-low heat for 4 minutes.
2. Add kale and continue to sauté until kale is tender.
3. Add garlic, salt and pepper and sauté for 2 more minutes.
4. Put kale mixture into a food processor or blender and pulse until a pesto mixture is formed.
5. Add 1 tbsp ghee/avocado oil into the same pan then add chicken, lemon juice and begin to break a part the chicken.
6. Once chicken is cooked, add kale pesto back into the pan and coat chicken with pesto.
7. Serve chicken with kale pesto on top of spaghetti squash.