DID YOU KNOW? Most restaurant salad dressings contain low-quality industrial seed and/or vegetable oils that are oxidized.
These inflammatory oils can cause a long list of health problems even when consumed in small quantities over a period of time.
When ordering salads at restaurants, I always request no dressing and ask for olive oil and balsamic vinegar (or whatever vinegar they have) instead.
When preparing salad dressings at home, I opt for heart healthy and anti-inflammatory oils like extra virgin olive oil and avocado oil. These high-quality fats allow us to absorb fat-soluble vitamins from food and support all our hard working cells therefore keeping us healthy and youthful.
Check out my Mediterranean Paleo Cobb Salad recipe below. It’s a perfect and complete meal that’s loaded with nutrients, healthy fats and protein.
Mediterranean Paleo Cobb Salad
INGREDIENTS: (serves 2)
4 chicken thighs (bone in, skin on)
2 hard boiled eggs (cut in half) – check out how to make the perfect hard boiled egg below.
1 avocado (skin removed, cut in half)
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes (cut in half)
1 pack sliced mushrooms
1 small red onion (sliced)
8 cups spring mix salad
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp avocado oil
Sea salt and black pepper
1 garlic clove
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp avocado oil
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
Sea salt to taste
1. Preheat oven to 425.
2. Add ingredients for chicken marinade to blender or food processor and create a marinade for chicken.
3. Coat chicken thighs in marinade then bake for 30-35 minutes. Prepare other items below while chicken cooks.
Onion & Mushrooms Saute
4. Using a stove top pan, heat 1 tsp avocado oil then add onion and mushrooms.
5. Add 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar and sea salt.
6. Cook over medium-low heat until all pan juices have cooked off. Cover and keep warm.
7. In a large bowl, toss spring mix salad with salad dressing ingredients.
8. Divide salad on to two plates. Add cherry tomatoes, avocado, eggs, onion/mushroom sauté & chicken thighs. Top with fresh ground black pepper.
How to make perfect hard boiled eggs
1. Place eggs in a pot and cover with cool water by inch.
2. Bring water to a boil over high heat.
3. Once water begins to boil, remove pot from burner and allow eggs to cook in the pot of hot water for 8-10 minutes.
4. Drain water and immediately run cold water over eggs until cooled.
5. Peel and enjoy in your favourite recipe or on its own.