OK, so I’m only human which means there are many moments where the thought of spending an hour in the kitchen to prepare a healthy meal is just not appealing (especially after a long day of work).
Given that these moments happen quite often and I refuse to settle for low-quality food, I created a handful of go-to recipes that I can whip up in 20-minutes or less.
This Pumpkin & Beef Salad recipe is a heartier version of my Big Beef Salad and one of my go-to meals when lazy (and hungry) Jen strikes.
It also makes for a great post-workout meal since 1 cup of cooked pumpkin has 564mg of the refueling nutrient potassium. Potassium helps to restore the body’s electrolytes after a heavy workout and keeps muscles functioning optimally.
Pumpkin & Beef Salad
INGREDIENTS: (serves 2)
1 lb grass-fed ground beef
1/2 lemon (juice only)
2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. coriander
398 ml canned pumpkin
1 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
8 cups salad greens
4-5 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp. lemon juice
Sea salt to taste
Optional toppings: pine nuts and broccoli sprouts
1. Add ground beef and lemon juice to pan. Break a part meat as you cook over medium heat.
2. When beef is 3/4 of the way done, add garlic and spices.
3. Cook until garlic becomes fragrant then mix in pumpkin, salt and pepper. Cook for 5-minutes.
4. In a large bowl, dress salad greens with oil, vinegar, lemon juice and sea salt. Toss salad and place onto a dish.
5. Add cooked pumpkin & beef onto the salad and enjoy!