Are you looking for a gluten free and gut friendly replacement for buns or bread?
Sweet potato “buns” to the rescue!
Not only are sweet potato “buns” tasty, but this whole food is packed with nutrients that you won’t get from plain old bread.
There are so many classic dishes and sandwiches that you can easily transform into a healthy and gut-friendly alternative with a little help from these “buns”.
Try sweet potato “buns” with:
- Sloppy Joes (see my recipe below)
- Burgers and sliders
- Bacon, egg, lettuce & tomato sandwich (BELT)
- Tuna sandwich
- Pulled pork sandwich
Cut sweet potato into rounds (like I did for this recipe) OR lengthwise for larger “buns” and cook using the instructions below. Fill your sweet potato “buns” with yummy ingreditenst and grab it with your hands or dig in with a fork and knife – whatever your heart desires.
Give this paleo friendly Sloppy Joe recipe a try. Serve them alongside Italian Coleslaw for a delicious and complete meal!
Sloppy Joes with Sweet Potato “Buns”
INGREDIENTS: (serves 2-3)
1 lb ground beef
1 tsp avocado oil
1 small onion (diced)
1/2 yellow/red/orange pepper (diced)
2 garlic cloves (minced)
1/3 cup water
3 oz tomato paste
1 tbsp yellow mustard
1/2 tsp coconut aminos
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
Sweet potato “buns”
2 large sweet potatoes
1 tbsp avocado oil
Sea salt to taste
1. Heat avocado oil in pan then add onion and pepper. Cook over medium heat for 5-minutes or until onions become soft.
2. Add garlic and beef. Break a part beef and cook until beef is no longer pink.
3. In a separate bowl mix sauce ingredients together then add mixture to pan with beef. Add sea salt and black pepper to taste.
4. Let cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes. Stir occasionally. You can also lower the temperature and let cook for longer to get more flavour out of this dish.
5. Serve in between sweet potato buns.
How to prepare sweet potato “buns”:
1. Preheat oven to 350 and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Cut sweet potatoes into 1/4 inch rounds with the peel intact.
3. Place sweet potato rounds in a single layer on baking sheet, brush both sides with oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
4. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until tender and lightly browned. Flip halfway through baking time.