Is your herb garden bursting with the amazing aroma of fresh basil? Or maybe you’re like me and just adore the smell and taste of this beautiful herb?
Summer is the perfect time to create fresh and flavourful pesto sauce since you can easily find fresh basil in the grocery stores, at farmer’s markets and in your own backyard if you’re the green thumb type!
From time to time I make a batch of pesto and store it in a small mason jar in my fridge. This makes it super easy to add fresh flavour to almost all my dishes throughout the week.
Pesto goes great with a variety of whole foods including;
- Spaghetti squash and zucchini noodles
- Seafood & fish (including canned fish)
- Chicken & pork
- Potatoes and other veggies
DID YOU KNOW? Traditionally, basil has been used to help reduce bloating and water retention, stomach cramps, acid reflux, and even to kill stomach worms or parasites. In addition, basil can help restore the body’s proper pH by balancing acid levels. Healthy bacteria can flourish in the gut when acid levels are balanced which leads to better digestion and a stronger immune system.
Give my Easy Dairy Free Pesto recipe a try. It’s great for those following a paleo, vegan, or dairy free diet.
Easy Dairy Free Pesto
2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup pine nuts
3 garlic cloves
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1. Pulse basil, pine nuts and garlic in food processor. Scrape sides if needed.
2. Slowly stream in olive oil as the food processor is running. Scrape sides occasionally.
3. Stir in sea salt and black pepper after processing.
3. Use right away or store in an air-tight jar in the fridge for use later. Use within 4 days or store in the freezer for up to a month.