3 ways coconut meat can support gut health
1. Coconut meat is high in insoluble fiber (meaning that it doesn’t get digested), which helps bulk up your stool and supports healthy and regular bowel movements. Just 1 cup (80 grams) of shredded coconut provides 7 grams of fiber, which is over 20% of the DV.
2. Coconut meat is high in healthy fat which helps you absorb fat-soluble nutrients, including vitamins A, D, E, and K.
3. The MCTs in coconut meat have been shown to strengthen your gut bacteria, which may protect against inflammation and conditions like metabolic syndrome.
Try my Coconut Lemon Bars! They only require 4 ingredients and are super easy to make. Plus, no baking required.
This high-fiber healthy snack is perfect for those following a vegan, keto, paleo or IBS diet.
High-Fiber Coconut Lemon Bars
3 cups shredded coconut, unsweetened
1 cup coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup honey (replace with a low-carb sweetener for keto bars)
4 drops lemon essential oil (food-grade) OR 1 tsp. lemon extract
1. Line an 8 x 8-inch or 8 x 10-inch pan or glass tupperware with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, add all ingredients and mix into a thick batter. If it’s too crumbly, add a little extra honey or a tiny bit of water.
3. Pour the mixture into the lined pan/tupperware. Using your hands or a spoon, press firmly into place. Refrigerate or freeze until firm. Cut into bars and enjoy!