You might be wondering — “Why tiger nuts, Jen?”
Well, my obsession with tiger nuts started a while back when the BF was having bad gut reactions to nuts.
At that time, most of the treats I made contained some form of nut which were a big NO for him. So, I began searching for a nut replacement that would not only make delicious treats, but also keep his belly happy.
It turns out that tiger nuts, which are small tubers and not actual nuts, are a great alternative since they have a similar taste and texture to nuts. I like to describe them as a cross between an almond and pecan with a hint of honey.
Eventually the BF’s issue with nuts went away, BUT the loads of tiger nuts and tiger nut flour that I bought didn’t!
SO, when life gives you tiger nuts, make tiger nut everything! Right?!
This time around I decided to try a classic treat — THE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE! Turns out that tiger nut flour works well as a base. These cookies turned out soft and chewy, like all chocolate chip cookies should be 😋
If you’re following a nut free paleo diet (or maybe you just want to add more variety and nutrients to your diet), I highly recommend this recipe.
P.S. There are MANY more tiger nut recipes to come, so stay tuned.
Tiger Nut Chocolate Chip Cookies
INGREDIENTS: (makes 15 cookies)
1 1/2 cup tiger nut flour
1/2 cup coconut oil, solid
1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
1 pastured egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350F and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Using a food processor or hand-mixer, mix together coconut oil, coconut sugar, egg and vanilla extract until smooth.
3. Add in flour, baking soda and salt and continue to mix until smooth batter is formed.
4. Fold in chocolate chips with a spatula.
5. Scoop onto baking sheet, I recommend using a cookie or ice cream scooper. Leave as is (do not flatten). Cookies will expand during baking so leave enough room around each cookie.
6. Bake at 350F for 10-12-minutes or until edges are golden. Let cool on baking sheet.