DID YOU KNOW? Cabbage is a great weight loss vegetable since it’s packed with many beneficial vitamins, minerals, plus water and fiber.
It’s also low in calories, containing only 33 calories per cup of cooked cabbage.
Cabbage is full of gut-friendly insoluble fiber, a type of carbohydrate that can’t be broken down in the intestines. Insoluble fiber helps support digestive health by adding bulk to stools and promoting regular bowel movements.
In addition, it’s rich in soluble fiber, which has been shown to increase the number of beneficial bacteria in the gut , like Bifidobacteria and Lactobacilli.
Cabbage can be used in various dishes including:
- Salads – check out my Creamy Dill Coleslaw & Italian Coleslaw
- Soups – check out my Carrot Cabbage Soup below
- Stews – add it to your favourite stew
Carrot Cabbage Soup
6-8 large carrots
1/2 head green cabbage
1 whole leek
1 cup mushrooms
1/2 lemon (juice only)
1 tbsp. coriander
1 tbsp. cumin
1 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. sea salt
2 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
1. Chop and place all vegetables into a slow cooker.
2. Add all spices.
3. Add filtered water (enough to cover 3/4 of the vegetables).
4. Cook for 4 hours at high setting or 6 hours at low setting.
5. Put cooked vegetables and liquid in a high speed blender, add ghee/coconut oil, and lemon juice (you will probably have to do this in two batches).
6. Blend until a thick and creamy purée is formed.
7. Jar any extra soup, store in the fridge and use within the week.
Turn your soups into a complete and nutrient-rich meal in one easy step …
? Stir 2 scoops of collagen powder into your bowl of soup. Collagen is loaded with nutrients that support skin, hair, nails, joints and the gut lining. Boost all your soups and smoothies with this powerful ingredient!