Double Chocolate Banana Muffins are delicious & bursting with rich chocolate flavour! These healthy paleo muffins are free of gluten & dairy and packed with all the good stuff, including quality protein and healthy fats. Even better, they’re naturally sweetened with ripe bananas, so they’ll keep you on track with your health and weight loss goals.
If you love my Chocolate Chunk Banana Muffins then I’m about to make your palate explode with this spin on one of my most popular recipes to date!
I’ve upped the flavour on these muffins by adding more rich chocolate flavour plus an optional crumble that can be used on top.
These muffins are a great breakfast option on days when you’re running out the door. They also make for a delicious healthy snack or treat.
Let me know your thoughts on this recipe. I hope you enjoy them as much as my boyfriend does 🙂
TIP: Make a batch and store them in the freezer. Simply grab one whenever you need quick fuel…They thaw out within 10-15 minutes. If you plan to eat the batch within a week, they can be stored in the fridge.
What you need for Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
*Do you have an allergy or intolerance to eggs? Use one of the egg substitutes in the recipe notes below.
Want more delicious & wholesome muffin recipes? Then you’ve got to try these …
Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
- 4 pastured eggs*
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup, optional
- 1/2 cup coconut flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup almond flour, sifted
- 1/4 cup cacao or cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips, I like Camino 100%
- 2 tbsp raw walnuts
- 2 tbsp coconut chips
- 2 tbsp dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350. Place liners in muffin tin.
- Beat eggs in bowl, mash bananas with a fork on a plate, then add all wet ingredients together and mix thoroughly.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a separate bowl then add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and continue to mix until a thick smooth batter is formed. (Note: Steps 2 & 3 can be done using a food processor to make things easier.)
- Add chocolate chips to batter and mix in with a spatula.
- Optional step for toppings: Add walnuts and coconut chips to food processor and pulse until a crumble is formed. If you don't have a food processor, put ingredients in a bag and crush with the bottom of a mug or can. Mix in dark chocolate chips.
- Fill muffin tins 3/4 of the way with batter. Add toppings (optional).
- Bake for 18-20 minutes. Let cool before removing from tin.
- 1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water (whisk until gelatinous and creamy) = 1 egg
- 1 tbsp chia seeds + 3 tbsp water (Stir and allow to rest for 15 minutes) = 1 egg