This paleo tuna pizza is absolutely delicious and the perfect recipe for your next pizza night! It’s gluten, grain & dairy free, making it the ideal pizza for anyone following a paleo diet.
The health benefits of paleo tuna pizza with cassava flour crust
DID YOU KNOW? Cassava is high in resistant starch, a type of starch that bypasses digestion and feeds the beneficial bacteria in your gut, which can support digestive health.
There are hundreds of different species of bacteria in your intestine. In fact, the bacteria in your intestine outnumber the body’s cells 10 to 1 — WOW! Science has discovered that the number and type of bacteria can have a profound impact on your health.
Whereas most foods feed only 10% of your cells, fermentable fibers and resistant starches feed the other 90%. Resistant starch not only feeds the friendly bacteria in your intestine, but it MAY bind to & expel “bad” bacteria, having a positive effect on the type of bacteria as well as their number.
In addition, resistant starch has also been studied to for its ability to contribute to better metabolic health and reduce the risk of obesity and type 2 diabetes. This is due to its potential to improve blood sugar control, in addition to its role in promoting fullness and reducing appetite.
NOTE: Products made from cassava, such as flour, do contain resistant starch, but the levels are lower than in cassava root that has been cooked and then cooled in its whole form.
The best cassava flour pizza crust
The texture and taste truly resembles regular pizza crust. The BF and I have been super excited to come up with different toppings for this awesome crust. We created this Paleo Tuna Pizza Mediterranean Style this past weekend and absolutely loved it! Let us know what you think in the comments section below 🙂
Paleo Tuna Pizza Mediterranean Style
For cassava flour crust
- ½ cup warm water, roughly 105-110 F
- 2 ¼ tsp active dry yeast
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 cup cassava flour
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 5 tbsp arrowroot flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder, optional
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- 1 14-ounce can plum tomatoes, drained and crushed
- 1 can wild skipjack tuna, drained
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp thyme leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 tbsp capers, drained
- ½ red pepper, sliced thin
- Hot red pepper flakes, to taste
- Sea salt, to taste
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Prepare yeast mix: In a small bowl, add warm water and honey. Mix to dissolve. Sprinkle yeast in. Mix to dissolve. Set aside for 5-10 minutes to activate. It will get foamy on top.
- Mix dry ingredients in large mixing bowl to combine.
- Lightly whisk eggs and olive oil together in a small bowl.
- Add egg mixture and activated yeast to the dry ingredients.
- Mix to form a dough ball. Transfer ball to an oiled bowl, cover with dish towel and set aside in a warm place (70-80 F is ideal) to rise for 1 hour. It will not double in size, but it will rise a little.
- Once dough has risen, preheat oven to 550 F. Preheat pizza stone, baking sheet or metal pan.
- Place the dough on parchment paper. Place a piece of parchment paper over the dough (if necessary) and shape dough with your hands by pushing down (on top of parchment, so it doesn’t stick) and roll with rolling pin. Flatten your pizza about 1/8-1/4 inch thin. Roll the crust thick or thin (to your liking) by shaping with your fingers and rolling the edges. Use extra cassava flour if dough is sticking. NOTE: Split the dough in half before rolling it out to make two smaller pizzas.
- Season tomatoes with half the garlic and sea salt then spread over the rolled out dough.
- Break up the tuna in a bowl then add 1 tbsp olive oil, remaining garlic and thyme & rosemary. Combine ingredients then spread over the tomatoes. Add hot pepper flakes, capers, and strips of red pepper. Drizzle 1 tbsp olive oil over the entire pizza.
- Lift the whole piece of parchment paper with pizza on top and transfer to the preheated baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 8-12 minutes until dough is firm and slightly golden, pulling out halfway and removing parchment paper. For a crispier golden crust, allow a few more minutes. Allow more time if cooking at lower temperature.