Picadillo (pee-cah-DEE-yo) is an Latin American dish that combines ground or finely chopped beef, vegetables, olives and dried fruit.
Depending on the region and personal customs, picadillo serves as a main dish, often accompanied by rice and beans, or as a filling for empanadas, chiles rellenos, tamales, tacos, stuffed potatoes and more.
Since tostones have been a hot menu item for me lately, I decided to pair this picadillo dish with these delicious golden bites on the side. Tostones not only make this dish hearty, but they also do a great job of soaking up the sauce! A great complement to this dish, if I do say so myself 🙂
Here are a few other healthy ways you can enjoy picadillo:
- Serve picadillo as a main dish with cauliflower “rice” or vegetable mash.
- Fold a couple spoonfuls of picadillo into a gluten & grain free coconut wrap or tortilla.
- Stuff bell peppers or baked sweet potatoes with picadillo.
- Serve picadillo over spaghetti squash.
- Use picadillo leftovers to make scrambled eggs.
Picadillo with Tostones
INGREDIENTS: (serves 2)
1 lb ground beef
1/2 large yellow onion, julienned
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
3/4 cup sliced and pitted green olives
1 bay leaf
1/2 tbsp avocado oil
3/4 cup organic chicken stock
1/8 cup dates, sliced
Get the recipe for Tostones, HERE.
1. In a pot, heat avocado oil over medium-high then brown meat. Set meat aside in a bowl.
2. Reduce heat to medium and add onions and peppers. Sauté until onions are slightly caramelized. Add garlic and cook for a minute.
3. Add paprika, cumin, oregano, chili powder, salt and black pepper–stir for a minute until spices become fragrant. Add chicken stock and stir, scrapping off brown-bits at the bottom of the pot. Add in the browned beef, bay leaf, olives and dates. Mix to combine ingredients.
4. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover with a lid and cook for 1-hour. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
5. When the picadillo is 20-minutes from being ready, prepare the tostones (get the recipe, HERE).
6. Serve picadillo in a shallow bowl and place tostones around.