Pumpkin Pie Chia Pudding makes for a great breakfast, snack or dessert during the fall months. You can now enjoy the taste of delicious pumpkin pie without all the work. It takes less than five minutes to prepare this plant-based & paleo pumpkin pie chia pudding!
DID YOU KNOW? Chia seeds are high in several nutrients that are important for bone health, including calcium, phosphorus, magnesium and protein.
One ounce (28 grams) of chia seeds contains 18% of the RDI for calcium. Gram for gram, this is higher than most dairy products, making chia seeds a good source of calcium for people who don’t eat dairy.
However, it’s important to know that chia seeds also contain phytic acid, which reduces calcium absorption to some extent.
“What is phytic acid?” – you might be wondering. According to Stephan Guyenet:
“Phytic acid is a small molecule found in seeds like grains, beans, and nuts that binds (chelates) certain essential minerals—particularly calcium, iron, magnesium, and zinc—and reduces their absorption from food. What this means is that the nutritional value of these foods isn’t as high as you might expect if you looked them up in a nutritional database. Many traditionally-living cultures with grain-heavy diets used techniques such as soaking, grinding, and fermentation that reduce phytic acid levels and increase mineral availability.” (Learn more about phytic acid here).
Now get those chia seeds soaking so you can try this delicious autumn-inspired chia seed pudding.
Craving more wholesome pumpkin recipes? You’re going to love these:
- Blended Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Green Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
- Flourless Pumpkin Spice Cookies
- Pumpkin Muffins
Pumpkin Pie Chia Pudding
- 1 cup coconut milk, or nut milk of choice
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch sea salt
- Pecans and pumpkin seeds for garnish, optional
- Whisk all ingredients in a bowl until well combined.
- Store in a glass container or jar in the fridge. Let sit for a minimum of 1-hr before consuming. The longer you let the chia seeds soak the more delicious this pudding becomes (I like to soak them overnight).
- Garnish with chopped pecans and pumpkins seeds before serving.