Shrimp Pad Thai is absolutely delicious and will soon be one of your favourite weekly dishes! This recipe combines shrimp with spaghetti squash noodles, vegetables for texture and flavor, and is coated with the most delicious creamy lime almond butter sauce! It’s gluten & grain free, paleo and low-carb.
Quick fact about me … I had a BIG crush on Pad Thai during my university days–and since I lived in Toronto at that time, I always gravitated towards Thai restaurants when I ate out. To this date, there’s just something about the combo of spices and flavours in Thai cuisine that I find magical!
Unfortunately, when I changed my diet to better serve my body, Pad Thai was one of the dishes I had to give up (teardrop).
Luckily, I eventually realized that I didn’t really need to give up my favourite dishes in order to feel good, I just needed to get creative and modify them. Ergo, I created this flavourful paleo version of Pad Thai that I could easily make whenever a craving hits–and let me tell you, I’ve made this recipe way more times than I can count!
Typical take-out Pad Thai can be loaded with lots of unwanted ingredients – crappy oils, sugar, MSG, and lots of sodium. However, this healthy Shrimp Pad Thai is made with shrimp, eggs, veggies, and uses spaghetti squash noodles instead of rice noodles to keep it lower carb & paleo.
Check out this delicious Shrimp Pad Thai with simple and clean ingredients. It’s one of my favourite recipes to date!
Want more healthy Asian recipes? You’re going to love these …
What you need for Shrimp Pad Thai:
- Spaghetti squash
- Enoki mushrooms
- Green onion
- Avocado oil
- Almond butter
- Coconut aminos
- Pine nuts or crushed almonds
Shrimp Pad Thai
- 1 lb wild shrimp*
- 2 pastured eggs
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 pack enoki mushrooms (remove ends & separate), or regular mushrooms thinly sliced
- 2 carrots
- 2 green onions
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 inch fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tbsp. avocado oil
- Sea salt & black pepper , to taste
Pad Thai Sauce:
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp. almond butter
- 3 tbsp. coconut aminos
- 4 sprigs cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. pine nuts or crushed almonds, lightly toasted
- Cut spaghetti squash lengthwise and remove seeds. Bake at 400 for 30-40 min. Fork should pierce skin easily when squash is cooked. Use a fork to scrape out the strands of squash. Set aside. (I suggest preparing the other ingredients as the squash cooks).
- Finely chop carrots and green onion by hand or in a food processor. Set aside.
- Using a large pan over medium heat, sauté garlic and ginger in 1 tbsp. avocado oil until fragrant. Add carrots, onion and enoki mushrooms and continue to cook until carrots are tender. Season with salt.
- Create a space in the middle of the pan, add eggs and scramble with fork. Mix in with vegetables and let cook for 1-2 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine all sauce ingredients until smooth and creamy.
- Turn heat to low, add cooked spaghetti squash and sauce into pan and mix all ingredients together until sauce coats everything.
- Add in cooked shrimp (see instructions below) and gently combine all ingredients until warm.
- Plate the Pad Thai and garnish with nuts and cilantro.
Shrimp: (can be cooked at the same time as Pad Thai)
- In a separate pan, cook shrimp in 1 tbsp avocado oil over medium heat. Season with salt and black pepper. Turn shrimp halfway through cooking.
- Once shrimp are cooked, set aside until ready to add to the other pan.