It’s time that I share my family’s chicken soup recipe, which I learned from my mom (aka. Mama J) – and she learned from my Nonna (a.k.a. Ma).
Back in my Little Jen days, Mama J would whip up a batch of her magic soup when I had Little Jen sniffles. She took good care of me – and still does even though I’m all grown up.
AND now Big Jen makes this magic chicken soup for Mama J when she’s not feeling well. Ahhhhh, the circle of life.
So, if you’re craving a warm bowl of chicken soup or you’re looking for a great natural remedy during cold and flu season, I definitely recommend giving this recipe a try. It’s gluten, grain and dairy free.
P.S. I made a couple of modifications to the original recipe, which brings out extra flavour in the soup. Technically, you don’t have to sear the chicken and slightly cook the veggies before adding water, but the extra steps are well worth it 😉
Homemade Chicken Soup
INGREDIENTS: (serves 4+)
2 large bone-in chicken breasts (free-range, pastured)
6 carrots, finely chopped
6 celery sticks, finely chopped
1 large yellow onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp. avocado oil
2 tsp. sea salt
1. Heat oil in a large pot and sear chicken breasts, 2-minutes per side. Set breasts aside.
2. Add onions and garlic into pot, stir and saute until fragrant.
3. Add carrots and celery and mix together with onions.
4. Add chicken breasts back into pot and fill pot to the top with water.
5. Add salt and bring to a boil. Let boil for a couple of minutes then reduce to a simmer and cover.
6. Let cook for at least 1-hour. The longer you cook the more flavour you’ll get.
7. Remove chicken from pot, place on a plate and shred.
8. If you want pureed chicken soup, add soup (minus the chicken) to a blender and blend until smooth. Add shredded chicken in after blending.
9. If you want a chunky chicken soup, leave as is and just add shredded chicken to the soup.
Support a strong immune system during cold and flu season (and all year round) with this powerful immunity booster. Loaded with whole food forms of vitamin C, antioxidants, anti-inflammatories, plus antibacterial & antiviral properties.
Check out what one of my followers had to say about this drink:
“Thank you for this recipe Jennifer. It was my go to drink during chemotherapy. When my white blood cell count was low and the docs told me I may not be able to do chemo, I started to drink this and boom – my WBC count went up and I was able to do the next round of chemo. I never missed a round of chemo with this drink. Thank you for this.”
Cranberry Orange Immunity Boost
INGREDIENTS: (serves 1)
1 orange (peeled)
1/4 cup frozen cranberries
1 inch piece of ginger (peeled)
1 tsp honey (manuka honey – my go to)
1 tsp raw coconut oil
1/2 – 1 cup water
BOOST your smoothie with collagen & protein – add 1 scoop PurePaleo Protein vanilla (optional)
Blend all ingredients using a high-powered blender.
Consume 3-4 times a week to support a strong immune system throughout the year.
Hi! I’m Jennifer …
My mission is to help women heal their gut, lose weight and feel great through simple and delicious smoothies, whole food nutrition & healthy lifestyle habits.