DID YOU KNOW? Coconut aminos is a salty, savory seasoning sauce made from the fermented sap of coconut palm and sea salt, making it a popular substitute for soy sauce.
Coconut aminos is milder and sweeter in flavour, but similar in color and consistency to light soy sauce–and even though it’s made from coconut sap, it doesn’t taste like coconut.
It’s free of soy, wheat and gluten, therefore a healthier alternative to soy sauce for those with certain food allergies or sensitivities. It also contains 65% less sodium than regular soy sauce.
So, if you’re adjusting your diet to reduce salt, avoid gluten or eliminate soy, coconut aminos is a great alternative.
You can find coconut aminos in health-food stores, the health aisles of most grocery stores & online. Be sure to store your coconut aminos in the fridge after opening.
Egg Roll in a Bowl
INGREDIENTS: (serves 3-4)
1 large green cabbage, thinly sliced
1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups carrot, finely chopped
1 1/2 tbsp ginger, minced
6 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup coconut aminos
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 pounds organic ground chicken
2 tbsp avocado oil
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
Green Onion, thinly sliced (optional garnish)
1. In a large skillet or pot, heat avocado oil over medium heat.
2. Add onions, carrots and cabbage. Season with salt and cook until tender, stirring often for about 15 minutes.
3. Add ginger, garlic, coconut aminos and vinegar. Continue stirring and cook for another 5 minutes.
4. Add ground chicken and season with salt and black pepper. Break up the meat into small pieces with a wooden spoon. Continue stirring until the meat has cooked through – about 10 minutes. (Note: Chicken can also be cooked in a separate pan then added to the pot. I prefer this method since you can brown the ground chicken and get more flavour).
5. Mix all sauce ingredients in a small bowl using a fork. If sauce is too thick add a tablespoon of water in at a time to thin it out.
6.. Once meat is cooked, turn off heat and mix in 3/4 of the sauce. Coat cabbage mixture in sauce.
7. Plate and drizzle remaining sauce over top. Garnish with sliced green onion.