DID YOU KNOW? There are over 12,500 peer-reviewed articles published on the benefits of turmeric, in particular one of its powerful compounds, curcumin.
Curcumin is the main active ingredient in turmeric. It has powerful anti-inflammatory effects and is a very strong antioxidant – making it great for both weight loss and IBS.
Unfortunately, the curcumin content of turmeric is not that high, so if you want to experience the full effects of this powerful compound, you need to take a supplement that contains high amounts of curcumin.
In addition, curcumin is poorly absorbed during digestion, so many different supplement formulations have been created to improve its bioavailability. Want to learn more about effective curcumin supplements? Send me a message and I’ll help guide you.
Consuming curcumin with certain fats and/or black pepper may help to increase absorption.
I used coconut milk (a healthy fat) and added black pepper to this Turmeric Latte, so you can get the most out of your golden milk!
INGREDIENTS: (serves 1)
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1 tsp honey or coconut sugar
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/4 tsp ground ceylon cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground ginger
dash of black pepper
1. Add all ingredients into a small saucepan and heat on the stove. Whisk to combine ingredients. You can also add heated ingredients into a blender to combine.
2. Pour into a mug and enjoy!
Is your herb garden bursting with the amazing aroma of fresh basil? Or maybe you’re like me and just adore the smell and taste of this beautiful herb?
Summer is the perfect time to create fresh and flavourful pesto sauce since you can easily find fresh basil in the grocery stores, at farmer’s markets and in your own backyard if you’re the green thumb type!
From time to time I make a batch of pesto and store it in a small mason jar in my fridge. This makes it super easy to add fresh flavour to almost all my dishes throughout the week.
Pesto goes great with a variety of whole foods including;
- Spaghetti squash and zucchini noodles
- Seafood & fish (including canned fish) – try my Wild Salmon with Pesto
- Chicken & pork
- Potatoes and other veggies
DID YOU KNOW? Traditionally, basil has been used to help reduce bloating and water retention, stomach cramps, acid reflux, and even to kill stomach worms or parasites. In addition, basil can help restore the body’s proper pH by balancing acid levels. Healthy bacteria can flourish in the gut when acid levels are balanced which leads to better digestion and a stronger immune system.
Give my Easy Dairy Free Pesto recipe a try. It’s great for those following a paleo, vegan, or dairy free diet.
Easy Dairy Free Pesto
2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup pine nuts
3 garlic cloves
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1. Pulse basil, pine nuts and garlic in food processor. Scrape sides if needed.
2. Slowly stream in olive oil as the food processor is running. Scrape sides occasionally.
3. Stir in sea salt and black pepper after processing.
4. Use right away or store in an air-tight jar in the fridge for use later. Use within 4 days or store in the freezer for up to a month.
Herb Infused Cauliflower & Leek Soup
INGREDIENTS: (serves 4-5)
1 whole leek
1 head cauliflower
5 celery stalks
1 handful fresh dill
1 handful fresh cilantro or parsley
2 tbsp avocado or coconut oil
1. Chop and place all vegetables (leave out the dill and cilantro/parsley) in a slow cooker and add filtered water (enough to cover 3/4 of the vegetables).
2. Add 1 tbsp. sea salt (you can add more at the end if needed).
3. Once vegetables are cooked (4 hours high setting, 6 hours low setting), put all vegetables and liquid into a blender (you will probably have to do this in two batches).
4. Add oil, fresh dill and cilantro or parsley.
5. Blend until a thick and creamy purée is formed.
6. Jar any extra soup, store in the fridge and use within the week.
Turn your soups into a complete and nutrient-rich meal with one easy step …
Add 2 scoops of collagen powder to your warm soup and stir in. Collagen is loaded with nutrients that support skin, hair, nails, joints and the gut lining. Boost all your soups and smoothies with this powerful ingredient!