DID YOU KNOW? Food-grade lemon essential oil can be used in a variety of recipes (from sweet treats to savory dishes) to replace lemon zest or lemon extract.
Lemon essential oil is a highly concentrated derivative of lemons that comes from cold-pressing the lemon peel and not the inner fruit. The peel is the most nutrient-dense portion of the lemon in terms of fat soluble phytonutrients.
Lately I’ve been experimenting with lemon essential oil in my smoothies and baked goods – and OMG, I’m hooked!
Lemon essential oil not only packs a flavourful punch, but it makes my food taste like I’m some kind of pro chef . The best part is – no more chipping my shellac nails on the evil zester!
Tips for incorporating lemon essential oil into recipes:
- Zest of 1 lemon = 8-14 drops lemon essential oil
- 1 tsp of lemon zest = 1-3 drops lemon essential oil
- 1 tsp of lemon extract = 3-4 drops lemon essential oil
- Add lemon essential oil into recipes as you would lemon zest or lemon extract.
- The flavour of lemon essential oil will dissipate during cooking/baking, so add a couple extra drops of oil to recipes that require cooking.
Give these chewy gluten free & paleo friendly lemon almond cookies with lemon essential oil a try.
INGREDIENTS: (25-30 small cookies)
1.5 cups almond flour
4 tbsp coconut flour
1/4 cup coconut oil (melted & cooled)
3 tbsp honey
10 drops lemon essential oil (food grade) OR zest of 1 lemon
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp sea salt
25-30 whole raw almonds (for top of cookie)
Get 24% off all Young Living essential oils (including food-grade oils) here.
1. Combine all ingredients in a food processor (or mix by hand in a bowl) until a batter forms and holds together. If batter is too moist, add more coconut flour. If batter is too crumbly, add more coconut oil.
2. Line baking sheet with parchment paper, scoop batter with a small spoon, place on baking sheet and form into preferred shape. Top each cookie with a raw almond. Leave 1-2 inches of space between cookies.
3. Bake at 350 for 12 minutes or until edges start to brown. Let cool on baking sheet. Once cooled, store cookies in airtight container.