“Well-designed cholesterol feeding studies (where they feed volunteers 2-4 eggs a day and measure their cholesterol) show that dietary cholesterol has very little impact on blood cholesterol levels in about 75% of the population. The remaining 25% of the population are referred to as “hyper-responders”. In this group, dietary cholesterol does modestly increase both LDL (“bad cholesterol” and HDL (“good cholesterol”), but it does not affect the ratio of LDL to HDL or increase the risk of heart disease.
In other words, eating cholesterol isn’t going to give you a heart attack. You can ditch the egg-white omelettes and start eating yolks again. That’s a good thing, since all of the13 essential nutrients eggs contain are found in the yolk. Egg yolks are an especially good source of choline, a B-vitamin that plays important roles in everything from neurotransmitter production to detoxification to maintenance of healthy cells.”
Get more choline & nutrient-rich egg yolks into your diet with this delicious Scrambled Eggs with Kale Pesto breakfast.
Scrambled Eggs with Kale Pesto
INGREDIENTS: (serves 2-3)
6 pastured eggs, beaten
4 large kale leaves, chopped
1 shallot or small onion, sliced
2 tbsp avocado oil
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
1. Sauté shallot in 1 tbsp. oil over medium-low heat until translucent.
2. Add kale and season with salt & pepper. Sauté until kale is tender.
3. Put kale into a food processor and pulse until a pesto mixture is formed.
4. Using the same pan over medium heat, heat 1 tbsp. oil then add eggs and scramble.
On average, wild-caught salmon contains 988 IU of vitamin D per 3.5-ounce or 165% of the RDI. Some studies have found even higher levels in wild salmon — up to 1,300 IU per serving!
Up to 50% of the world’s population may not get enough sun causing many people to be deficient in vitamin D. This is partly because people spend more time indoors, wear sunblock outside and eat a Western diet low in good sources of this vitamin.
Vitamin D deficiency is linked to everything from skin problems to weight gain to autoimmune disease to cancer and heart disease.
This stresses the need for all of us to get plenty of sun exposure, and supplement or eat vitamin D-rich foods, such as wild salmon, on a regular basis.
Is your herb garden bursting with the amazing aroma of fresh basil? Or maybe you’re like me and just adore the smell and taste of this beautiful herb?
Summer is the perfect time to create fresh and flavourful pesto sauce since you can easily find fresh basil in the grocery stores, at farmer’s markets and in your own backyard if you’re the green thumb type!
From time to time I make a batch of pesto and store it in a small mason jar in my fridge. This makes it super easy to add fresh flavour to almost all my dishes throughout the week.
Pesto goes great with a variety of whole foods including;
DID YOU KNOW? Traditionally, basil has been used to help reduce bloating and water retention, stomach cramps, acid reflux, and even to kill stomach worms or parasites. In addition, basil can help restore the body’s proper pH by balancing acid levels. Healthy bacteria can flourish in the gut when acid levels are balanced which leads to better digestion and a stronger immune system.
Give my Easy Dairy Free Pesto recipe a try. It’s great for those following a paleo, vegan, or dairy free diet.
Easy Dairy Free Pesto
2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup pine nuts
3 garlic cloves
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1. Pulse basil, pine nuts and garlic in food processor. Scrape sides if needed.
2. Slowly stream in olive oil as the food processor is running. Scrape sides occasionally.
3. Stir in sea salt and black pepper after processing.
4. Use right away or store in an air-tight jar in the fridge for use later. Use within 4 days or store in the freezer for up to a month.
Hi! I’m Jennifer …
My mission is to help women heal their gut, lose weight and feel great through simple and delicious smoothies, whole food nutrition & healthy lifestyle habits.