DID YOU KNOW? In Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), Brussels sprouts are used to improve digestive health.
Just one cup of cooked Brussels sprouts provides four grams of fiber, which numerous studies show is important for digestive function.
Fiber helps to support digestive health by encouraging regular bowel movements, preventing constipation or diarrhea, and detoxifying the body by pulling toxins and waste out of the gut.
In addition, Brussels sprouts contain glucosinolates and sulforaphane. Glucosinolates can help protect the lining of the digestive tract and stomach therefore reducing the chances of developing leaky gut or other digestive disorders. Sulforaphane facilitates in the body’s detoxification process and can help prevent bacterial overgrowth from occurring in the gut.
According to TCM, it’s recommended that cruciferous veggies (like Brussels sprouts) be cooked to enhance digestion and to nourish the spleen, which can become taxed if bombarded with too many raw or cooling foods.
Try this easy and delicious recipe for Brussels sprouts. It’s vegan, paleo, keto & IBS friendly.
4. Eat it on its own as a mid-day snack — cauliflower “rice” tastes great cold too, so just grab the leftovers from the fridge and enjoy!
This nutrient-dense vegetable is a perfect low-carb substitute for grains that will leave you feeling satisfied.
Here’s my quick and easy go-to recipe for cauliflower “rice”.
INGREDIENTS: (serves 2-3)
1 head cauliflower
1 small onion (finely chopped)
1/2 lemon (juice only)
2 tbsp. avocado oil
Fresh cilantro or parsley (handful, chopped)
Sea salt to taste
1. Chop cauliflower into chunks.
2. Put into a food processor and process into a rice like consistency.
3. In a deep pan, sauté onion in oil then add cauliflower.
4. Add lemon juice and sea salt.
5. Cook at medium heat for 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Add in a handful of fresh cilantro or parsley near the end.
There are so many herbs and spices that go well with cauliflower, so don’t be shy and change up the flavour each time you prepare this dish.
Hi! I’m Jennifer …
My mission is to help women heal their gut, lose weight and feel great through simple and delicious smoothies, whole food nutrition & healthy lifestyle habits.