You know that feeling when you try a recipe for the very first time and after just one bite you can’t wait to make it again and again?!
Well, that’s the feeling you’ll get when you try this dish!
These bite-sized tostone tacos are to die for and super fun to eat. I replaced the traditional taco shell with tostones since they are grain free, gut friendly and so delicious!
Just in case you’re wondering what tostones are, they’re slices of unripe plantains that are fried, flattened, then fried again (in heat stable oil, of course!). Learn more about plantains and tostones here.
You can find plantains at most grocery stores. They look like big green bananas and tend to be located next to regular bananas. I’ve been able to find them at stores like Walmart, Fortinos & Longos.
Do you know of other stores that sell plantains? Let our community know by leaving a comment at the bottom of this post.
How to assemble Tostone Taco Bites:
- Spread guacamole on tostone.
- Add beef on top of guacamole.
- Grab with your fingers (or use a fork) and bite into your delicious creation!
This meal is packed with all the good stuff including healthy fats from grass-fed beef and avocado PLUS loads of fiber thanks to plantains and avocados, once again. I highly recommend adding this recipe to your list of “must try”, it’ll be love at first bite!
Tostone Taco Bites
INGREDIENTS: (serves 2-3)
1 lb grass-fed ground beef
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, sliced
1 zucchini, chopped (optional)
1 pack mushrooms, sliced
2 large plantains, peeled and cut into 1 inch slices
½ lime, juice only
Sea salt & black pepper to taste
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp sea salt
1. Saute onion and garlic in 1 tbsp avocado oil until fragrant, then add in zucchini and mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes.
2. Add ground beef and taco seasoning. Break a part meat and cook until liquid evaporates and meat is browned.
3. While beef is cooking, use another large pan to cook the plantains. Cover bottom of pan in avocado oil, heat oil then add plantain slices and fry on both sides until golden (roughly 2-minutes per side). Season with salt.
4. Remove plantains from pan and gently smash until flattened (I smash my plantains between two pieces of parchment paper with a mug or can).
5. Add smashed plantains back to the pan and fry again on both sides until golden brown. Now you have tostones!
6. Mash avocado in a bowl, add lime juice, sea salt, black pepper and a pinch of garlic powder.
7. Place everything onto a dish as shown in photo and assemble your tostone tacos one by one!