I don’t know about you, but stuffing is by far my favourite Thanksgiving dish – it even tops turkey!
Traditionally, my family prepares stuffing with some gluten containing ingredients that I can’t eat because of my IBS. So, since depriving myself on Thanksgiving is NOT an option, I created a stuffing recipe that not only tastes delicious, but that my whole family enjoys.
Give my paleo & gut-friendly stuffing a try this Thanksgiving.
Thanksgiving Stuffing Paleo Style
1 lb sausage stuffing
6 strips bacon, sliced
2 eggs, beaten
2 sweet potatoes, diced
5 stalks celery, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 pack mushrooms, sliced
1 cup pecans, chopped
1/2 cup dates, sliced
1/2 cup vegetable broth
2 tbsp white wine
2 tbsp. avocado oil
Sea salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Bake sweet potatoes in avocado oil, sea salt and black pepper for 30 min. Set aside in a large bowl.
3. Over medium heat, cook bacon in a large frying pan until fat starts to render.
4. Add onions and cook until soft then add celery and cook for a few minutes.
5. Add sausage stuffing, mushrooms and white wine. Break meat apart and mix well. Cook until sausage is no longer pink.
6. Add meat mixture into bowl with sweet potatoes.
7. Add pecans, dates, broth, eggs, sea salt and black pepper into bowl and mix well.
8. Place mixture into a 9×13 baking dish and bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes.
Does the cold weather have you searching for recipes that you and your family can warm up to in the comfort of your home?
Give this easy and delicious chili a try! It’s the perfect dish for a cold fall or winter day.
Make this recipe paleo by replacing black beans with more beef (see my suggestion in the ingredients below).
Serve this dish on its own or on top of cauliflower “rice” for a low-carb, grain-free meal.
Looking for more chili recipes? Try my Pumpkin Chili! It’s a hearty paleo friendly and low-carb chili with a unique combination of pumpkin, zucchini, warming spices and cacao.
Beef & Black Bean Chili
INGREDIENTS: (serves 4)
1.5 lbs grass-fed ground beef
400 ml can black beans (drained and rinsed) OR 1/2 lb extra beef (paleo version)
1 large onion (chopped)
1 red peppers (deseeded and chopped)
1 jalapeño pepper (deseeded and chopped)
796 ml can fire roasted tomatoes (diced)
2 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp sea salt
Fresh ground pepper
2 tbsp ghee or avocado oil
1 cup filtered water
1. Place eggs in a pot and cover with cool water by an inch. 2. Bring water to a boil over high heat. 3. Once water begins to boil, remove pot from burner and allow eggs to cook in the pot of hot water for 8-10 minutes. 4. Drain water and immediately run cold water over eggs until cooled. 5. Peel and enjoy in your favourite recipe or on its own.
Make your hard boiled eggs mouth popping good by adding your favourite spices, oil and sea salt. Give my Turmeric Basil Hard Boiled Eggs a try!
Serve these eggs alongside sliced tomato and avocado for breakfast OR add them to a salad for a healthy lunch