Vegetable “rice” is a great low-carb, gut friendly and nutrient-dense substitute for grains like rice, quinoa and couscous. It’s extremely versatile and can be used as a base or side for so many dishes.
I like to make a batch of this “rice” ahead of time and add it to different meals throughout my week. It makes meal prep super easy – and adds tons of flavour and nutrients to my meals!
Here are a few great ways to add vegetable “rice” to your menu …
1. Use it as a side to salmon, steak, chicken or another protein source.
2. Use it as a base for a stir-fry.
3. Top it with fried eggs for a nutrient-rich breakfast. Check out this recipe!
4. Add “rice” and a can of wild salmon, sardines or tuna into a container and take it with you to work for a healthy lunch.
5. Eat it on its own as a mid-day snack — vegetable “rice” tastes great cold too, so just grab the leftovers from the fridge and enjoy!
Here’s what you need for this recipe
Now give this AIP, keto, paleo & plant-based recipe a try!
- 1 head cauliflower
- 6 carrots, medium sized
- 4 celery stalks
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Chop vegetables into large chunks, place on baking sheet and coat with oil, salt and pepper.
- Bake for 1-hour. Toss vegetables around half way through cooking.
- Put cooked vegetables and vinegar/lemon juice in a food processor and process into a rice-like consistency (you may have to do this in two batches).